As with any medical treatment, there is a risk that something could go wrong. The risk of complications increases the later in pregnancy an abortion is carried out.
Every medical procedure, including abortion, carries the risk of complications. You have the legal right to be given a fully informed consent. You also have the right to:
- get an explanation of the abortion procedures available,
- assess their risks and side effects, and
- learn about other options for your pregnancy.
First trimester abortion is considered minor surgery. The risk of complications for the woman increases with advancing gestational age of the baby. To learn more about the methods of abortion and when each is used click here.
According to the Women’s Right to Know, here are some of the risks that have been associated with abortion:
- Pelvic infection
- Incomplete abortion
- Blood clots in the uterus
- Heavy bleeding
- Cut or torn cervix
- Perforation of the uterus wall
- Anesthesia-related complications
Questions you should answer to protect your health and safety before having an abortion
- Have you had a second medical opinion to verify that you are pregnant? False positives are rare, but do occur.
- Have you learned about the possible physical and emotional side effects of abortion?
- Have you had a recent STD/STI test? Some types of abortion can move untreated sexually transmitted infections deeper into your reproductive system.
- Have you had an ultrasound? Ultrasound is the most accurate way to date a pregnancy. It also helps a physician identify potential health risks to you. Schedule your appointment with us today.
- If you have already had an ultrasound, were you allowed to see the image? That is your right and we can make it happen for you.
- Is someone pressuring or forcing you to have an abortion? It is illegal for anyone to do so. You have the right to make your own treatment choice and the right to refuse any treatment you don’t want. (Resource)
- What do you know about abortion procedures? There are a number of different procedures used in the US. They vary depending on the clinic and gestational age. Learn more before you decide.
- Have you researched the costs before and after the abortion? What is included? Who pays if something goes wrong? Learn more about abortion costs.
- What if I change my mind and I am in the abortion clinic exam room? You have the right to stop at any point even after the initial preparation. You can leave. It is illegal for anyone to force you to abort including medical staff. (Resource)
- Do you have an appointment to have an abortion? New Mexico law requires that it be performed by a doctor.
- Will the abortion be completed in a medical facility or when you are home alone?
- Does the abortion doctor have hospital admitting privileges in case something goes wrong?
- Have you checked the clinic’s safety and legal record?
- Does the abortion doctor have medical malpractice insurance? If a doctor is sued frequently, he may not be able to obtain such insurance.
Abortion can have serious and life-changing outcomes. Once completed it cannot be undone. Get all the facts first. We are here to serve you free of charge. No pressure. No judgment. You deserve to know all the facts before you make a final decision. Schedule your appointment with us today.
Our Centers do not offer, recommend or refer for abortions or abortifacients. We are committed to offering accurate information about abortion procedures and risks.
Get In Touch
Santa Fe Location
Normal Business Hours:
Monday: 9am to 5pm
Tuesday: 9am to 5pm
Wednesday: 9am to 5pm
Thursday: 9am to 5pm
Friday: 9am to 5pm
Saturday: 9am to 5pm